Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Fashionomics 101


My favorite thing about fashion is that it is fun. I have always considered fashion to be an outlet for self-expression. The clothing you wear sends a message to the world about who you are and how you are different. Fashion is all about identity. Versatility. I believe that owning pieces at all price points is what makes fashion so intriguing.

From corsets to leg warmers, fashion has long been a reflection of the changing times. When times are tough, a seemingly small upgrade in accessory or trendy piece can work wonders for a woman's outlook on life. When purse strings are a bit more loosened, outrageous couture reflects the height of fashionable expression. With the current economic situation, it is important to realize that fashionable attire can fit into any budget.

I have found, even in an environment as small as my Denton, Texas boutique, that the tone of the fashion conversation has shifted. When we first opened our shop in 2005, women would come into the store all the time bragging about how expensive their handbag was or how luxurious their custom denim. Now, women come into my store thrilled to share their bargain experiences. Just yesterday, I was helping a customer who couldn't stop gushing about what a great deal she had gotten on some incredible sandals. She ended up saving over 85 percent off the retail price!

Although times are tough, we will get through this. Fashion will always bounce back. I believe that the economic downturn is providing us all with an opportunity to take our fashionable expertise to the next level. Now, we are not only fashionistas. We can also be thrifty, unique and eclectic. We can be recessionistas.

6 comments:

  1. I walked into your store for the first time on March 3. Although I did like some items you had, I was disappointed in the reception I was givin by the sales associate. When I saw some really nice jewelry on the table that she had handmade, I complimented the jewelry and she shrugged me off. She did not greet me when I walked in the door, while looking at any particular display, or when I left, though I was the only person in the store. It became even more apparent that I was being ignored after 10 minutes passed and she still had not spoken to or approached me. She remained behind the counter the entire time. I found some TOMS shoes in a size and color that I had been looking for but I was disinclined to make a purchase because of how I was treated.
    It's a shame because it's such a cute store, but I'm not going to shop somewhere I don't feel valued as a customer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in your store on May 12, 2011. A few friends of mine were there around lunch time. We were treated as though we were second class citizens! Not one time did the sales associate help us or even greet us. I will never shop in your store again. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have been in the store several times. The same sales associate, short hair, is continually rude when we ask questions or ask for help; on one visit, she was too busy eating to address customers. Yesterday, I took my daughter into the store to purchase TOMS as you tend to carry many of the different styles. When she could not find the style in her size and we were about to leave, your associate questioned what we were looking for and when my daughter explained, she looked at her, sarcastically, and explained that the style was a "spring" style (duh)and they would not be getting any more in. That just made us decide to go online and purchase the same shoes as well as another pair of wedges I had been loooking at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just walked out of this store as sales associate was complaining loudly on the phone about these comments. Wasn't helped or greeted at all. Which is why we left. Great store. Horrible service today. Very unprofessional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I disagree with each one of you that have written above for the following reasons:
    1. I have been in the store several times. Each time, the short haired sales associate was very kind and attentive to my needs. I have also observed eating while customers are in the store. When they approach her to ask her questions she immediately stops eating, lets her food get cold, and helps the customer until they tell her she has answered their question.

    2. When I try on clothing; whenever I wanted input on how clothing looked on me, I asked her and she would tell me the truth and not just say that she liked everything so I would buy everything.

    3. She is very customer service friendly. She is kind and passionate about helping customers find clothes they like.

    As a frequent customer, I know this to be a great store with a great staff of three ( two owners and one employee).

    ReplyDelete
  6. To the last post, I have truly tried to give this store a chance. Either you ARE the person we all have the unpleasant experience with or you simply have not had the same type of situation we have come across. Either way, it's a shame.

    ReplyDelete